February 19, 2011

Saturday Night Mango Margaritas

My husband and I went to Costa Rica in December. It was aaawwwwesommmee! We spent the last couple days of our trip on the Pacific coast. By two o'clock in the afternoon, the black sand beach was scorching. Lucky for us, there was a single restaurant on the beach ... with some small outdoor tables, a little shade, and some amazing mango margaritas.

I decided to recreate these tasty drinks for us to enjoy at home.

Mango Margaritas


I loosely followed this excellent recipe from Michael Chiarello.
-I used 2 large mangos to make the mango puree. Then I used half of that to make these two mango margaritas (about a cup and a half of mango puree). I like them extra mango-y, so it worked for me. I froze the remaining half of the mango puree for some future night.
-I also like a lot of lime juice. So, unlike the recipe, I didn't rim the glass with a lime wedge, instead I added a bunch of lime juice to the mix itself (about a half a lime's worth).
-Also, I chilled the tequila and the mango puree before mixing everything together, which resulted in a very smooth creamy blended drink. Just like in Costa Rica!

Meaner, Greener, Leaner!
* I bought some organic mangos for this recipe. But according to EWGs study of pesticides in various produce, they've found that there is a relatively low level of pesticides in non-organic mangos. Mangos are actually #5 on their "Clean Fifteen" list. Not bad! So organic or nonorganic mangos are good to go!
* To get the EWGs shopper's guide to produce, go here.


Here are more pictures from the process.

Brand-new blender pureeing the hell out of the mango, sugar, and water!

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment