January 31, 2011

When the World Stinks, Make Deodorant

You know the whole: When life gives ynou lemons, make lemonade? Yeah, well, this week the world has been stinking a bit (see this ABC article about the USDA deregulation of GMOs, motherf**&$!!).

So, I decided, when the world stinks, make deodorant.

Homemade Coconut Deodorant
This recipe allows me to reuse a plastic container (no more tossing out used deodorant containers), use organic products I already have in my home, and make something I need with my own arm-power (instead of having it made in a factory with fossil fuels).


Ingredients
organic, cold-pressed coconut oil
baking soda
organic corn starch

There are a lot of recipes online--with slightly different proportions. So, it really depends on how much you want to make. I used 4 T of oil, and then I started out by mixing in 4 T of baking soda and 2 T of corn starch. I kept mixing in more (more than what I found online) until the deodorant was the consistency of thick cake batter. Once it cools to room temperature, it solidifies more.

Here are some links to various instructions, if you want to check out other's recipes:
* a recipe with just powder and starch from 1greengeneration
* a recipe similar to mine but with addition of essential oils from associated content
* a recipe with instructions for making deodorant the consistency that can be put into an empty deodorant stick from little house in the suburbs

TIPS & INFO
* My delightful neighbor gave me a sample of her homemade deodorant a few months ago, similar recipe, which I've been using. And I think that it is BETTER than store bought deodorants, natural deodorants, or salt deodorants. I find this recipe does a better job dealing with odor than any other deodorant I've ever used. And, I get to smell like coconut to boot!
* In general, the coconut oil will be more solid when it's cooler out and more liquid when it's warmer. Most recipes online need more soda and starch to be the thick consistency I like--you might find you need to add more to get the consistency you like as well.
* If the deodorant liquifies during warmer months, you can add more soda and starch if you like.

Here are more pictures from the process.





1 comment:

  1. A friend asked some good questions:
    (1) Does the coconut oil or do the powders stain your clothes?
    --So far, nope, not at all. I've been using my homemade deodorant for the past month, and I used the sample of homemade deodorant given to me by my neighbor for about 4 months--No stains!

    (2) Do you apply it to you skin with your fingers or put it into an empty deodorant stick and roll it on?
    --There are many bloggers out there who have put the homemade deodorant into their old, empty deodorant containers. Which is awesome! Less plastic. I haven't done this. I've applied it with my fingertips. I liked being able to massage it into my skin to be sure that all the oil was absorbed (in order to avoid stains). Again, it's worked great.

    ReplyDelete