February 27, 2011

Borox: Not Green

I love the movement on so many blogs and websites lately toward green cleaning supplies. I definitely have a few favorites I use at home. (Check out my blog on making homemade deodorant.)

But I've often wondered about a couple ingredients commonly seen in these "green" recipes for making your own cleaners. Anytime a recipe for a homemade "green" cleanser includes a store-bought manufactured product that is not labeled as green or ecologically safe ... well, you got to wonder.

One common ingredient in these online recipes that always made me raise an eyebrow was Borox.

Now, I just recently learned that my eyebrows were onto something. According to the Environmental Working Group, Borox is not the green clean alternative many have hoped it would be.

Check out EWG's blog on the topic. They very clearly describe the possible health effects of Borox, such as skin and eye irritation as well as hormone disruption. The blog also recommends lovely alternatives, such as vinegar and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment