September 24, 2010

Tostones: Three Ways to Plantain Glory!

Tostones, maduros, plantain chips, mofongo ... plantains are like the scheherazade of the vegetable kingdom. They can be made into savory main meals, sweet desserts, baked, boiled, fried, mashed ... endless possibilities.

Yet, somehow I've always managed to screw up cooking with plantains. I've tried. Many times years ago. Then, after many botched attempts, I put the plantain down.

So, when I saw the simple and direct tostone recipe on A Boulder Table, I felt a renewed sense of courage! I'll try it again! Tostones are truly simple to make. I'll get through my weird tostone block! This time with a partner, right there on my computer screen. She tried it! See! I can too.

The Trials and Tribulations, and Ultimately, Great Taste of Tostones
To get myself past my block, I decided to use A Boulder Table's recipe in two ways and try out a traditional tostone recipe--for a total of three ways to make tostones. I worked through my block, and now I have an awesome and easy tostone recipe! This recipe is part of the Taste & Create food blog recipe exchange.


green plantains
organic vegetable oil
salt
bowl of lukewarm salt water

1) Peel the plantains. This is the first step, and it's when I always begin to screw up. But this time I figured it out. (Why did it take me so long? Don't know). When plantains are green, they are more like potatoes. When they are yellow, they are more like bananas. So, green plantains need to be peeled like potatoes are peeled ... with a peeling knife.
2) I sliced the tostones three different ways: really thin (about 1/8 of an inch), thin and at an angle julienned (about 1/8-1/4 of an inch), slightly thicker and at an angle julienned (1/3 of an inch).
3) Batch 1: These were a little thinner than A Boulder Table's Tostones
I heated about 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and started with the really thin slices (1/8-inch). I cooked them on medium heat, about 3 minutes per side, until brown. I put on them on paper towels to drain, and sprinkled them with salt while they were still hot.
4) Batch 2: These were a about as thin as A Boulder Table's Tostones
I add a little bit more oil to the pan and added the medium-thin slices (1/8-1/4 inch). I cooked them on medium heat, about 3 minutes per side, until brown. I put on them on paper towels to drain, and sprinkled them with salt while they were still hot.
5) Batch 3: These were the traditional tostones
While cooking batches 1 and 2, I'd soaked the traditional tostones (about 1/3 inch thick) in a bowl of lukewarm salt water. Once batches 1 and 2 were done, I drained these from the water, added a touch more oil to the pan, threw these in, and stood back (water pops on a hot oiled pan--ouch!). I cooked them on medium-low heat, about 4 minutes per side. Once pulled from the heat, I smashed them gently with the flat end of a meat tenderizer. Then, they go back into the hot pan for about 2-3 more minutes per side until golden brown. Again, when done, they go on some paper towels and get a light dusting of salt.

Meaner, Greener, Leaner!
* Okay, generally foods cooked in oils can be higher in fat. But with a touch of patience, I think they can be made a little healthier. How does the patience factor in? I need to have patience to actually allow the pan to heat up a touch before adding the plantains. This allows them to hit the hot pan instead of absorbing oil while the pan heats up. Also, I need to have patience to allow them to drain on the paper towels before eating them all!
* Organic oil, organic oil! I mentioned my love and reasoning to spend the extra $$ on organic oil in my first post.

Here are more pictures from the process.

My neighborhood is full of great padanderias and Latino restaurants. Normally, when I want tostones, I buy them and end up standing at the counter and wait while they cook. But since I was making my own, I picked myself up some nice treats at the panaderia as a snack while they tostones cooked.


All three styles together in one photo!



Batch 1--turned out more like plantain chips--thin, crispy, savory, yumness.



Batch 2 (via A Boulder Table)--good texture and flavor--an awesome & quick tostone recipe!



Batch 3 (traditional tostone recipe I got when visiting Puerto Rico)--delicious, a little more caramelization--a tried and true recipe for night's when I have the energy to cook them the traditional way



Go here www.tasteandcreate.com for more info about Taste & Create.

No comments:

Post a Comment