July 1, 2010

Hot Fun in the Summertime: Part 2 & Finale--Dinner Is Served

So, I've got cold, crisp pickled radishes and chocolate pudding. What the? How will I ever put together a romantic combination from these things?

Simple.

Perfect.

Summer night dinner ...

A cheese platter, nice thinly-sliced bread, an assortment of high-flavor additions (including the pickled radishes), a green salad, and pudding for dessert at the end--as if what we'd eaten so far wasn't enough!

Part 2: The Chill Supper, Romantic Dinner for Two


2-3 types of cheese, thinly sliced (organic cheese if you can)
2 types of bakery bread, thinly sliced (or crackers)
assorted tasties: organic pickled radishes, pickled jalapenos, good olives, a jar of organic pesto, good mustard
1 organic mango, thinly sliced
some organic strawberries

I make a little green salad, which we eat as an appetizer. Then, I simply put all the rest of these lovely things out on a platter, and we enjoy a happy blend of flavors as our entree for the evening: manchego cheese and mango, goat cheese with black olive and sliced jalapeno, cheddar and pickled radishes, pesto and cheddar, etc. etc. etc. Deeelightful.

Then, we finish the meal with our little espresso cups of chocolate pudding.

Even more delightful.

Then, my husband tells me how lucky he is. Then, I beam. Then, we sit on our couch right next to each other enjoying the teensiest breeze and feeling our little surface of the Earth cool down for the evening.

It's a good night!

Meaner, Greener, Leaner!
* Cheese platter means no cooking, no use of carbon sources to heat up food or cool down the apartment. And the pickled radishes and pudding required very little stove time as well.
* The foods are fresh. An array of colors, which means an array of vitamins and minerals. By thinly slicing the cheese, I've tried to keep my animal fat to a minimum. Because I used a decent amount of dark and semi-sweet chocolate in the pudding, small servings still pack a whallop of flavor without loading up our bodies with tons of sugar.
* The bread is local. Many of the ingredients are organic. While I can't afford for everything to be organic, I try my best.

Here are more pictures of the cheese platter meal, altogether.




No comments:

Post a Comment