June 29, 2010

Hot Fun in the Summertime: Part 1--Homemade Chocolate Pudding

Well, the summer is upon us like a cat on a mouse. With global warming, I have begun to feel like I am a rotisserie chicken turning on the spit-like axis of the Earth, roasting from the fire of the sun.

The last few years, I've begun to seriously cultivate fun and flavorful cold or chilled dinner ideas that require little to no cooking. I mean, why use electricity to heat up the apartment then use more electricity to cool it down?

With the weather forecasters declaring a series of 90-degree days followed by 80-degree days (which in Brooklyn always turn into more 90-degree days), I decided to try a new cool recipe this past weekend.

So here's the first step to this week's "cool romantic dinner for two."

Part 1: Homemade Chocolate Pudding
Hell, yes! Chocolate, a hint of coffee in a perfectly cool, creamy form. And I made a whole bunch of it, which means my hubby and I can get some of this cold chocolatey homemade pudding into our bellies to cool down at any time! (Feel free to cut the recipe in half. This makes a huge amount of puddin'.)


1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
4 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 organic eggs
6 oz. chopped or shaved chocolate (eating chocolate, fair trade)
4 cups organic milk
2 tsp. instant coffee granules
2 tsp. vanilla extract
My recipe is an adaptation of a classic recipe from the superb Ms. Betty Crocker!

1) In a large pot, mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and eggs together thoroughly.
2) Slowly whisk in the milk.
3) Whisk in the instant coffee.
4) Add the chocolate. I used about 2 oz. bittersweet, 2 oz. milk chocolate, and 2 oz. dark chocolate. If you use unsweetened chocolate, double the sugar. But I use regular eating chocolate. And I believe a blend makes the flavor deeper and more multi-faceted.
5) Cook on a low or medium heat until the mixture boils, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes.
6) Whisk in the vanilla extract.
7) Take off the heat, allow to cool. Once cool, put into glasses or a container to store in the refrigerator.

Meaner, Greener, Leaner!
* This recipe needs almost no heat to cook! Hoorah!
* Just like with the pickled radishes, let the food cool on the counter before putting it in the frig.
* Homemade dessert is way better than store-bought dessert. It's organic. It's made exactly how I like it. And there's no wasteful packaging or disposable containers that have to be tossed into the landfill.

Here are more pictures from the process.

Eggs in a pot with some sugar and cornstarch, simple and gorgeous ...


Now with milk, chocolate, instant coffee. Hell, yes!

The espresso cups are ready for their pudding homage to Ms. Crocker!


When pudding gets thick and juuuust right, you can make these neat swirly lines and designs with the whisk.


Voila! With some sliced strawberries. Now me and my hubby just need some spoons. Num, num, nummmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! Question: Can I use instant espresso instead of instant coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, lady, I JUST NOW SAW that there was a comment. I had some weird idea that the blog would automatically alert me. I think instant espresso sounds lovely and tasty. We just happen to have instant coffee on hand.

    ReplyDelete