December 7, 2011

My Plan For Christmas: Draft 2

I don't know why, but I love the act of coming up with my plan for Christmas. My first draft is here. But I've had a chance to narrow and specify the plan a bit. Also, we just took a trip to Montreal. So in this second draft of the plan, there are crepes! And maple syrup!

Things to be prepared the day before:
* Deviled eggs
* Fruit salad and/or fruit plate
* Spicy dressing for potatas bravas
* 20-layer crepe cake, with a little apricot jam in some layers
* A plate of deli meats (prociutto, salami, sopressata)

Things to cook on Christmas morning:
* Figs or dates wrapped in bacon (they can be prepped the day before and baked that morning)
* Potatas bravas
* Gimme Lean vegan breakfast sausage
* Platter of bagels, cream cheese, tofu cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato, and onion
* Warm, mulled cider
* Coffee, sweetened with maple syrup (something else from Montreal and totally delicious)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.

    My sister Jessica and I are taking responsibility for Christmas Eve dinner at my grandmother's. We're hoping that a caterer can take care of the main dish, but I might be doing a couple sides. Yikes! I knoweth not the joy of cooking, alas.

    Plus, there's the pie.

    Though when I look again at your list, there's not too, too much cooking involved, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Part of the fun for me of coming up with the list is the puzzle-play of finding the items that will be tasty, unusual, and the most streamlined to prepare.

    For example, I bake the dates with bacon in the oven on a baking sheet at the same time that I bake the potatoes on another baking sheet on Christmas morning. So, they'll cook at the same time. And they require only occasional checking while they bake.

    Of course, this is breakfast, which can be easier than dinner. But for dinner, there are some sides that can be easy to make. Do you know what you guys are ordering for the main entree? If so, I can be on the lookout for easy-to-make side dishes. :-)

    ReplyDelete