October 9, 2011

There is a God: Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, & Pretzel Cookies

I've often been completely disappointed with most homemade peanut butter cookie recipes I've tried. They're never good enough. Usually they end up not peanut buttery enough. Even the flourless type ends up not being good enough for my palette, because to compensate for the lack of flour, they contain a decent percentage of sugar. And the sweetness slightly overwhelms the peanut butter flavor.

So, I've often thought about making a "slightly flourless" peanut butter cookie. Inherently, a regular peanut butter cookie recipe but with less flour, in order to make the peanut butter more prominent. But I know: To add the flour, I'd need to increase the moisture.

And that's what I did. And they turned out GREAT. First try!

Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, and Pretzel Cookies
These are remarkably similar to the cookies I just ate from Sigmund Pretzelshop, which makes me happy. The only thing is that their cookies were bigger in size and a little saltier. I think in the future, I might add a touch of salt to this recipe.


1/2 stick of butter (room temperature)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 T. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks
6-7 large salted pretzel rods, crushed
Makes 20 chunky cookies.

1) Beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together.
2) Add the peanut butter, honey, and vanilla. Mix.
3) Add the egg. Mix.
4) Add the flour and baking soda. Mix.
5) Add the chocolate chips and crushed pretzel rods. Mix.
6) At this point, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8) Butter the cookie sheets lightly. Roll the dough into balls, and place the balls about 2 inches apart. Gently, with your three middle fingers held together, press down into each ball just so that it is a little squashed.
9) Bake for 10 minutes.
10) Let cool 2 minutes. Then enjoy.

Pictures from the process:




No comments:

Post a Comment