November 25, 2010

Eat Your Fractals! (Thanksgiving Sides To-Go)

Happy Thanksgiving!

So, I'm on my way out, onto the road, bringing with me a couple of side dishes for the big supper! I love trying out new and different foods. Grabbing the stuff I've never eaten before from the produce aisle is certainly a good way (for me) to make sure I eat my vegetables.

The first side dish: garlic roasted Romanesco cauliflower
This awesome cauliflower looks like fractals! I love it! Beautiful green florets, sweet, and in the shape of wicked cool fractals!

I used the recipe for garlic cauliflower from the Food Network. Alas, my oven must be a tad hotter than it should be, as the garlic burned some. I'll bring with me the cauliflower and not the overly browned garlic.


The second side dish: four carrot salad
... orange carrots, purple carrots, gold carrots, and yellow (satin!) carrots. Each have an variety of slightly different vitamins and minerals to offer, as well as a slightly different flavor (ranging from sweeter to slightly more celeric).

The recipe was exceptionally simple.
1) I sliced the organic carrots very, very thin.
2) I finely diced 1 medium shallot and added that to the carrots.
3) I finely diced 1/4 c. of dried cranberries and added those in, too.
4) I made a salad dressing with 3 T. dijon mustard, 1 T. garlic-chili sauce, 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar, 1/4 c. white wine vinegar, 1 T. organic sesame oil, 3 T. organic olive oil, 1 T. dried parsley flakes, 1 T. dried basil flakes, black pepper, and 2 T. Bragg Liquid Amino (used instead of plain old salt, this is a great healthful substitute with a lot of flavor).
5) I tossed together and let sit overnight.


Gobble, gobble!

Here are some pictures!










2 comments:

  1. This salad sounds delicious and is gorgeous, too. Will definitely be on the lookout for these rainbow carrots at the Farmer's Mkt. And CONGRATS on your big oatmeal victory!! Woo hoo! Love, M

    ReplyDelete