December 8, 2010

Candy Cane Beets (Big Plans ... To Be Continued)

I had big plans! Pickle me up some striped beets ... so pretty! so festive! perfect for the holidays! They look like candy canes! ... Alrighty, I'll call 'em Candy Cane Beets. Such plans! And I thought I'd be able to fit in some pickling before going away on vacation.

Ha.

Ha.

HA!


Not to be. I'm putting them in a greenie bag. Have you heard of them? Like these or these. Wicked cool reusable bags that help your produce last longer. Less waste, less landfill, less rotten carbon emissions from shipping the food to the grocery store that just goes bad. Greenie bags are all good.

But while I will not have time to make my Candy Cane Beets before I go, I will show you what I plan to do when I return.

The Beets (photo courtesy of PBS)

Pretty right? Yup!

I had planned to roast some for immediate eating and them pickle the rest of the roasted ones, as per this wonderful recipe from Alton Brown, cuz I mean, you gotta love Alton Brown. You gotta, I'm sure you do.

So, if you're looking for an unusual and healthy recipe to bring to any holiday parties in the next couple weeks, I'd recommend these striped beets. Call 'em Candy Cane Beets, cuz they sure are sweet. And feel good eating them and feeding your loved ones a food so sweet and full of fiber, Vitamin C, iron, magnesium, potassium, and other nutrients.

Happy Holidays!

(Oh, and if you're a beet enthusiast like I am, you can also hang a single beet from the center of a doorway as a super-huge mistletoe, and kiss your beloved beneath the beet. HA!)

More postings when we return from our trip!

1 comment:

  1. These beets are GORGEOUS, Sherine! And your gift ideas are all splendid. Thanks so much for sharing these. Definitely let us know if the toilet cleaner and washing machine no-soap balls actually work. I've heard a big "nope" from the one friend who did try them, but maybe they're now new and improved?? --Meredith

    ReplyDelete