October 28, 2010

To Blog the Process? YES (Con't. Sunday Brunch with the Ladies: Pear and Fig Tart)

I've debated whether or not I should post recipes that are in progress on this blog. You know what I mean? Recipes that I try and fall into "ehh" or "bleh" categories, or "really good but too much work" or "really good but too unhealthy!" categories. So, why not share the process here? After all, part of my goal in writing this blog was to force myself to write down the recipes as I work on them, so that I would not forget the ingredients in the future.

The Pear and Fig Tart falls into the "ehh" category. I made it a couple weeks ago, for the Sunday brunch-meets-clothing swap. I had just purchased a lovely large container of fresh figs, so I planned a very figgy menu, including Fig and Bacon Focaccia (with some Manchego Cheese) and this Pear and Fig Tart. The focaccia turned out brilliant, and one of my new all-time favorite flavor combinations! The tart on the hand was good, but not great. In the future, I think I would make it a bit differently.

Pear and Fig Tart: First Attempt
This was my first try. The pear was perfect. The fig was sweet, but monotonous in its sweetness. The crust, while having a wonderful flavor and texture, was far too thick, took up too much of each bite. In the future, I plan to make a similar crust, just less of it, and to use a lot of thinly-sliced pears ... Oh, and even though the flavor wasn't all I'd hoped for, the tart still came out looking like a star!


Crust
1 c. organic whole wheat all-purpose flour
1 c. organic spelt flour
11 T. cold butter
2 egg yolks
1/3 c. organic sucanat sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Fruit and Glaze
6-8 fresh figs, sliced
6-8 organic seckle pears, thinly sliced (with the skins still on)
juice of 1/2 an orange
1 T. pumpkin beer
1 T. maple syrup
2 T. butter
1 T. granulated sugar

1) Mix the flours, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
2) Add the salt in little pieces and mix with a fork or with your hands until the texture of sand.
3) Add the egg yolks and knead with your hands until thoroughly blended.
4) Place the dough in a tart pan (8" or 9"), and spread out gently using your hands. Be sure the thickness of the crust is consistent.
5) Place the thin slices of fruit in a bowl and squeeze some juice from the orange over the slices. Toss.
6) Arrange the thinly-sliced fruit in overlapping concentric circles. At this point, begin preheating the oven at 375 degrees.
7) Sprinkle with the granulated sugar, and dot with butter.
8) Bake in the 375-degree oven for 30-40 minutes. Be sure crust is golden, but not overly brown.
9) Squeeze the rest of the juice from the half orange into the bowl with the remaining orange juice. Mix in the beer and maple syrup. Pour this over the warm tart.
10) Serve when cool!

Meaner, Greener, Leaner!
* There are many fruit tart recipes that included a layer of cheese or creme, which I avoided. So, this tart is far lower in cholesterol than those cheese-based or creme-based tarts.
* Most tart crust recipes call for 1/2-3/4 of a cup of sugar, but I personally find the whole wheat and spelt flour to be slightly sweet on its own. Then add in the fruit and light glaze! There's really no reason to have a sugar-heavy crust.
* NEXT TIME! It will be even better. Less crust means less flour and butter. More fruit means more tenderness to each bite and more vitamins and fiber. My plan for less crust and more fruit will mean a lower-calorie and lower-cholesterol tart with more flavor and nutrients.

Here are more pictures from the process.

Butter + orange + fruit = grace









No comments:

Post a Comment