April 22, 2010

Where Is Your Kitchen, Anyway? (And Where Have Your Hands Been, Mister?)

A few years ago I used to watch the Food Network ALL THE TIME. See, we were sort of getting it magically, for free. My husband and I moved into an apartment, and a few months later, all of a sudden, we were getting the Food Network. So I watched it constantly, trying to cram in as much food-lore as possible before Big Brother found out. I dosed out on food tv.

And while I learned some nifty things (how to slice and dice in super chique ways) ...
I also heard some seriously stupid advice being given ... like this:

FANCY PANTS CHEF: So then you take your soup while it's piping hot and pour into your storage containers and put immediately in the frig. You wouldn't want any bacteria getting into your "fancy-pants-chef-soup," would you? And this will keep the flavors fresh!

ME: What??? Well, aren't you a genius. NOT.

I mean are we so worried about bacteria nowadays? Where is your kitchen? Where have your hands been? Have you been cooking in Dr. Horrible's Secret Chem Lab? In the mole-man's underground lair?

Putting super hot foods into a plastic container. Bad. Heating the plastic releases toxins.
Putting super hot foods into the frig. Bad. It takes a lot of electrical energy to remove heat energy and make something cold. Adding hot foods to your frig warms up your frig's average temperature; and it can stay warm for hours, using up lots of extra electricity as it works to combat the heat. Meantime, the rest of your food has sat in a slightly warmer environment. Gack.

So, please, let us all collectively diss the Fancy Pants Chef who gives stupid advice! Wait for the hot steaming food to completely cool down to room temperature. Then, package in a plastic container (if you really want). But I say, leave the food in the cooled metal pot, and put in the frig.

I mean ... unless you like sour milk and green eggs and ham.






No comments:

Post a Comment